Who are we?
TrueSense Marketing is a full-service direct marketing agency with more than 200 fundraising pros (and growing!) that are committed to building strong donor relationships, enhancing the donor experience, and creating the conditions for greater generosity. Our clients see greater income, with strong donor retention and lower fundraising costs.
We believe donors are heroes. Their passion and generosity are building a better world. That’s why we live donor-focused, client-inspired fundraising every day.
While analysis and numbers inform what we do, here at TrueSense we believe true success comes from the way we work with others. We operate with integrity, innovation, common sense, and value. We’re about people … about creating relationships, and communicating honestly and powerfully, one-to-one. Because that’s what’s real - and that’s what works.
What do we need?
In light of recent growth, TSM is looking for an Account Director to become an important member of our Client Service team.
What will you do?
As an Account Director with TrueSense Marketing, you lead a team serving major clients - developing direct response multi-channel fundraising strategies, while meeting client objectives, budgets and revenue goals. You are responsible for maintaining and growing existing client relationships and in some cases responsible for new business development with prospective clients.
Ultimately, you own the client – and you own the client’s relationship with the agency. Therefore each of your responsibilities has an external, client facing element and an internal, team or process oriented element. Your success is dependent on being able to manage both the external and internal elements. You may also be responsible for securing new business in your assigned categories.
More specifically, the candidate chosen for this role will...
Big Picture Items
- Own the client. This means you know the client’s story – their “narrative” at all times. What’s working – what’s not – what their mood is – what their expectations are – what’s new for them and what their challenges are. You will be responsible for bringing that narrative to all agency planning sessions for your client.
- Own the client pro forma budget and growth projections. This means that you will be responsible for ensuring that an annual budgetary and projection plan is developed and approved by the client before the year’s work begins. The budget is produced in coordination with client involvement and to meet their expectations. And producing this document will involve you receiving input from various departments; such as creative, print/production, digital, media, and analytics.
- Own the client’s annual plan. The budget document (above) is one part of the annual plan. The plan is the narrative to the budget – it provides the rationale as to why we’re making our recommendations as they are. As with the budget, various departments and team members provide input into that document.
- Own the timely execution of all client projects. This means understanding the internal processes and timelines so that all deliverables are provided to the various departments on time so that the client delivery dates are met.
- Own your reporting relationships – up, down, and across the agency. You are responsible for managing “up” to your supervisor(s) to keep them aware of success – and challenges. You are responsible for communicating and building strong team relationships with your peers and for the junior members of your team. Teamwork is not just wanted – it is required! It is how we accomplish what we do.
- Own the training of junior team members. You are expected to lead and train your team. They need to see you in action and be able to learn from you. This will require frequent meetings and a lot of face time – both structured as well as hallway conversations. Weekly meetings with team members are strongly recommended.
- Own the agency budget expectations for your clients. This means that you are on top of all agency billings and income and changes to the client’s annual plan. You are expected to provide projections for the client during each agency planning cycle (August for each coming fiscal year), and be ready to update quarterly projections for the agency Finance department.
- Own the increase in new business in the client verticals you have been assigned. This means working through the “sales cycle” with as many prospects as is possible: introduction, education, proposal, and decision.
- Own achievement of sales goals. Together with agency leadership, you will assess the market, the sales potential, prioritize prospects and create the strategy and tactics for reaching targets.
- Own the creation of proposed plans that solve for each individual prospect’s unique business needs. You’ll be responsible for gaining insights and recommendations from internal specialists – and assimilating those insights together with the agency’s client service model; pricing framework; and prospective clients’ goals – to form the proposed client solution. You will own the packaging and delivery of solutions that are right for their needs right now and for where they aspire to be long term.
- While the following list of External and Internal facing responsibilities is not exhaustive it will give you a more concrete sense of what is expected as an Account Director.
- Conduct discovery with clients to stay up to date on organizational changes and fundraising program goals.
- Hold internal planning sessions to gain input from agency leaders (including Senior Director) and specialists (such as Creative, Media, Digital, Production) on strategic direction to accomplish growth goals for clients
- In conjunction with the Strategic Planning Group (SPG), develop and present clients’ annual direct response fundraising plans including:
- Strategic overview
- Marketing calendar
- Annual pro forma with budget / performance projections
- Annual testing plan
- Segmentation plans
- Long term growth plan
- Hold quarterly internal review meetings for each client – previewing upcoming mail and digital campaigns/impacts and considering any changes to plan based on latest results.
- Hold pre-launch meetings for each impact - affirming direction for creative, data, content, testing and audience.
- Write and present Strategic Briefs to clients for approval if required by client.
- Monitor results compared to projections and prior year, considering if course correction is needed.
- Hold periodic update meetings with client (2 – 3 times/year) to review campaign results; donor file analytics; test outcomes; creative concepts; updated projections and proposed recommendations (typically travel required)
- Support and manage your client service team members including Account Coordinator and Account Manager – as they execute campaign plans and problem-solve.
- Stay in frequent communication with key client-side contacts at management and executive level – keeping results and relationship on solid ground.
- Keep all involved agency team members updated on performance numbers and the client narrative – so that they feel connected and aware.
- In some cases (and in coordination with senior leadership), develop new business with prospective clients by initiating contact; preparing proposals; making presentations and participating in response to RFPs.
- Collaborate with the SVP in development of a comprehensive sales plan. How will you market yourself and the agency to the clients and prospects in your assigned verticals? This will include attending conferences, introduction calls and notes, reports, emails, visits, letters/postcards, luncheon invitations, marketing tactics, etc.
- Know the competition and their impact on the market, including their strengths and weaknesses with their existing clients.
- Maintain records in HubSpot of all prospects, leads, contacts and sales activities – and provide ongoing updates to the rest of your team.
- Be diligent in creating and executing contact plans for each prospect.
- Manage the entire proposal process – from dialogue with the prospect probing for additional information, to making assignments internally to various specialists, to writing the proposal itself.
- Create and give presentations to prospects, drawing from our past presentations as a base and adding/changing as needed.
- Follow up with prospect post-proposal - probing for rationale when we’re not selected, and launching into onboarding when we are.
- Develop an ear for what clients and prospects are seeking in terms of new products, services, and technologies.
- Establish a regular pattern of visits to TrueSense corporate office in Warrendale, PA (if working remote). Your plan for this should be submitted and approved by your SVP, and will likely require two weeks on site initially and monthly visits for the rest of the first year.
Position Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Computer Proficiency (including all Microsoft products: Outlook; Excel; Word; PowerPoint)
- Customer Service
- Industry Knowledge
- Personal Development
- Problem Solving
- Project Management
- Team Mentality
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 8 years marketing/advertising experience with a focus on leading external clients
TrueSense is a growing, moving, evolving agency, and we're always interested in talent. So we want to hear from you! We make work/life balance a priority; provide commensurate compensation and a vibrant, practical, family-conscious work environment.